Discover the magic of ceremonial-grade cacao, an ancient elixir with a wealth of health benefits and spiritual significance. Unveil the secrets of this powerful plant medicine and learn how to harness its potential for personal growth and self-reflection.
- Ceremonial grade cacao is an unprocessed form of the Criollo bean with many health benefits and can enhance spiritual practice.
- The journey from bean to ceremonial cacao involves fermentation, drying, and roasting processes that preserve flavor, nutrients and its spiritual essence.
- Incorporating ceremonial grade cacao into daily life offers a range of flavors & health benefits while promoting connection through ritualistic activities for healing & transformation.
Understanding Ceremonial Grade Cacao
Ceremonial cacao, used for spiritual and self-reflective purposes like cacao ceremonies, is a minimally processed form that retains numerous health benefits. Unlike cocoa, which has been subjected to prolonged roasting at high temperatures, ceremonial grade cacao is made from the pure Criollo cacao bean and undergoes minimal processing, preserving its nutritional value. Drinking ceremonial cacao can provide an energy boost, similar to coffee, without the unwanted side effects.
The cacao used in ceremonies is often sourced from ancient cacao gardens, where the beans are harvested, fermented, and roasted to create a rich, delicious, and potent paste. Ceremonial cacao’s enchantment lies in its delightful flavor, and its capacity to enhance spiritual practice and deepen connection with the world around us.
The Journey from Bean to Ceremonial Cacao
Creating ceremonial cacao is a process that involves fermentation, drying, and roasting cacao beans to yield a pure, nutrient-rich product. The cacao beans, often procured from age-old cacao gardens, are diligently cultivated and transformed into a potent plant remedy for creating ceremonial cacao. Roasting is done at a lower temperature in comparison to regular chocolate, allowing the beans to retain their health benefits.
This journey from bean to ceremonial cacao is a delicate and intentional process that ensures the preservation of nutrients, flavor, and spiritual essence of the cacao. As you indulge in this luxurious and potent elixir, take a moment to appreciate the care and intention that has gone into its creation, sourced from the rich and biodiverse rio ene region.
Fermentation plays a pivotal role in transforming the raw cacao bean into ceremonial quality cacao. By activating nutrients, supporting proper absorption, and bringing out the delicate flavor of the cacao bean, fermentation ensures that the final product is both delicious and nourishing. The process typically takes 3 to 7 days, during which the cacao spirit is believed to be present, guiding the transformation.
Fermentation at low temperatures not only amplifies the taste of ceremonial cacao, but also retains vital nutrients like magnesium and compounds such as caffeine. This makes the resulting cacao not only a delightful treat but also a powerful plant medicine.
Drying cacao beans, which halts the fermentation process and enables the beans to attain the desired moisture content, is an essential step in making ceremonial grade cacao. This stage ensures that the unique flavors and aromas of the cacao can develop fully, and that the beans can be stored and transported without the risk of mold or spoilage.
Ceremonial grade cacao beans are typically dried using a sun-drying protocol. Here’s how it works:
- The beans are spread out and exposed to indirect sunlight.
- This process takes between 36 to 72 hours.
- During this time, the beans continue their transformation, developing the rich and complex flavors that make ceremonial cacao so special.
Roasting, integral to the preparation of ceremonial cacao, aids in retaining the nutrient profile and health advantages of the beans. The optimal temperature for roasting cacao beans for ceremonial grade cacao varies but is generally between 80-120°C (176-248°F), which enhances the flavor and aroma without compromising the beans’ nutritional integrity.
By roasting at controlled temperatures, the cacao beans develop their characteristic chocolate flavor and unlock the natural richness and complexity that make ceremonial cacao a truly magical experience. As you savor each sip of this ancient elixir, take a moment to appreciate the artful roasting process that brings out the cacao’s full potential.
Health Benefits of Ceremonial Grade Cacao
Ceremonial grade cacao offers an abundance of health advantages, including:
- Brimming with antioxidants, minerals, and mood-boosting compounds
- Improving blood circulation
- Supporting healthy cholesterol levels
- Reducing arterial plaque buildup
- Increasing artery flexibility
- Being a rich source of minerals like magnesium, iron, zinc, calcium, chromium, manganese, sulfur, copper, and phosphorus
These many health benefits provide essential nutrients for bodily functions, including blood pressure regulation, and overall health.
The mood-enhancing compounds in ceremonial cacao, including:
- PEA (phenylethylamine)
These compounds improve brain function, increase serotonin levels, and stimulate the release of dopamine and endorphins in the body. By incorporating ceremonial grade cacao into your daily life, you can enjoy not only its delicious taste but also its numerous health benefits.
Preparing and Enjoying Ceremonial Cacao
To fully appreciate the allure of ceremonial cacao, mindful preparation and enjoyment using superior ingredients and adhering to traditional methods are key. As you embark on this culinary journey, remember that the sacredness of the cacao ceremony lies not only in the drink itself but also in the intentions and energy you bring to the experience.
Establishing intentions for your cacao ceremony heightens the spiritual and introspective dimensions of the experience. As you hold your cup of cacao close to your heart, take a moment to connect with your deepest desires and aspirations. Let the warmth of the cacao guide you through a journey of self-discovery, healing, and transformation.
The preparation of ceremonial cacao involves the following steps:
- Use pure cacao and natural sweeteners like maple syrup or honey.
- Optional: Add spices such as cinnamon or ginger for added flavor and health benefits.
- Be mindful of the quality of the ingredients you choose, as it directly impacts the taste and potency of the final drink.
By selecting high-quality, ethically sourced cacao and other natural ingredients, you ensure that your ceremonial cacao remains true to its ancient roots and medicinal properties. As you savor each sip, take a moment to appreciate the power of these timeless ingredients, which have been used for centuries to nourish the body and spirit.
Start the preparation of ceremonial cacao by following these steps:
- Mix cacao shavings with hot water at approximately 70-80°C (158-176°F).
- Gradually incorporate water or hot liquid while stirring vigorously until a uniform paste is achieved.
- For a creamier and more consistent texture, you may use a blender or milk frother.
The recommended serving of ceremonial cacao, also known as a ceremonial dose, is approximately 42.5 grams or 1.5 ounces, but for new users, it is advised to start with half of that amount. As you prepare your cacao, remember that the ritual of creating this ancient elixir is as important as the drink itself. Take this time to connect with the cacao spirit and embrace the magic of this powerful plant medicine.
Before commencing your cacao ceremony, setting intentions for a mindful and transformative experience is important. By connecting with your inner desires and aspirations, you invite the cacao spirit to guide you on a journey of self-discovery, healing, and growth.
To set your intentions, follow these steps:
- Hold your cup of cacao close to your heart.
- Close your eyes and take three deep breaths, allowing your body to relax.
- Ask yourself what you need in this moment.
- Let your intuition guide you in setting your intentions.
As you enjoy your drinking cacao, hold your intentions in your mind and heart, allowing the magic of ceremonial cacao to unfold in your life and enhance your mental agility.
The Spiritual Aspect of Cacao Ceremonies
Cacao ceremonies, deeply ingrained in spirituality, often involve rituals, meditation, and activities aimed at fostering spiritual growth and self-awareness. By participating in a cacao ceremony, you embark on a journey of connection, healing, and transformation, guided by the ancient wisdom and power of cacao.
Through the practice of rituals, intention-setting, and mindful consumption of cacao, you can deepen your connection with yourself, others, and the world around you. Embrace the spiritual aspect of cacao ceremonies as a powerful tool for personal growth and transformation, and allow the magic of this ancient plant medicine to reveal itself in your life.
Leading Brands of Ceremonial Cacao
Now that you know what to look for and how to prepare ceremonial cacao, let’s explore some of the leading brands that offer high-quality, ethically sourced cacao. These brands include:
- SELVA BIO Organic
- ELEMENT FOR LIFE Virgin Ceremonial Cacao Paste
- NOURISH AND GLOW Raw Ceremonial Cacao
- ORIGEN 100% Pure Ceremonial Cacao
- PLUS CACAO Ceremonial cacao
Each of these brands has its own unique approach to sourcing, processing, and offering ceremonial cacao, ensuring that you can find the perfect product to suit your needs and preferences.
SELVA BIO Organic
Single-origin Criollo variety from Peru
- Ethically sourced, single-origin Criollo variety from Peru.
- Harvested by the Ashaninka, Nomatsigenga and Farmers located in Satipo in the central rainforest of Peru.
- Committed to supporting indigenous people and preserving their traditional knowledge and practices by sourcing their cacao through ethical direct trade relationships.
Criollo Cacao, well-known as “The King of Cacao”, is a scarce variety product that is valued for its high-quality grain with fine aroma and flavour.
ELEMENTS FOR LIFE
100% pure virgin cacao
- Quality Source: This cacao paste is sourced from the finest quality, 100% pure virgin cacao, handpicked from sustainable farms in Peru.
- Ceremonial Grade: It's not just any cacao - it's ceremonial grade, traditionally used in Mayan and Aztec ceremonies for its spiritual and health benefits.
- Nutrient-Rich: Packed with antioxidants, magnesium, and other essential nutrients, our cacao paste is a powerhouse of health benefits that can boost your mood and overall wellness.
- Versatile Use: The paste can be melted into hot water to create a rich, flavorful ceremonial cacao drink, or used in baking and cooking for a robust chocolate flavour.
- Ethically Sourced: We respect Mother Nature and the hard work of our farmers. That's why our cacao paste is ethically sourced, ensuring fair trade practices.
- Natural & Pure: With no additives, preservatives, or artificial flavours, you get to enjoy the full, unadulterated taste of real cacao.
NOURISH AND GLOW
Raw Ceremonial Cacao
NOURISH AND GLOW Raw Ceremonial Cacao offers:
- Superior Quality: The cacao beans are hand-selected and carefully processed to preserve their raw, natural state, ensuring you get the highest quality product.
- Antioxidant Powerhouse: Packed with 40 times the antioxidants of blueberries, this cacao provides a nutrient-dense boost to your health.
- Ceremonial Grade: It's ceremonial grade, traditionally used in sacred rituals for its spiritual and health benefits.
- Authentically Sourced: This cacao is 100% Peruvian, maintaining the authentic taste and quality of its origin.
100% Pure Ceremonial Cacao
- Premium Quality: This is 100% pure ceremonial-grade cacao, ensuring you receive the highest quality product.
- Nutrient-Dense: Packed with antioxidants and essential nutrients, our cacao helps promote overall well-being.
- Versatile and Easy to Use: Perfect for a warm cacao beverage or for adding a robust chocolate flavour to your favourite recipes.
- Ethically Sourced: We are committed to ethical sourcing and sustainable farming practices, supporting local farmers and preserving their traditional methods.
- Pure and Natural: Free from additives, preservatives, and artificial ingredients, ORIGEN cacao lets you experience the full, natural flavour of real cacao.
The Cacao Gorilla originates from the African rainforest
Plus Cacao Ceremonial cacao
- Supports mindfulness and sustainable farming practices
- Cacao Gorilla originates from the African rain forest, exactly from Sierra Leone. This is a pure taste of bitter nature: 100% of ground cacao beans, roasted and fermented slowly in the sun.
- Honors the sacred nature of cacao
- Offers a unique and transformative experience for those looking to deepen their connection to this ancient plant.
Sourcing High-Quality Ceremonial Grade Cacao
To experience the full benefits and allure of ceremonial grade cacao, sourcing high-quality, ethically harvested cacao prepared with careful intention is essential. When selecting your cacao, consider factors such as origin, processing methods, and taste, and choose reputable suppliers who prioritize sustainability and ethical practices.
By choosing high-quality ceremonial-grade cacao, you can:
- Support local communities and preserve ancient cacao gardens
- Ensure that your cacao ceremony is a truly magical and transformative experience
- Savour the rich, delicious flavours of this sacred plant medicine
- Let the spirit of cacao guide you on your journey of self-discovery and growth.
Beyond Ceremonial Grade: Other Types of Cacao and Chocolate
While ceremonial-grade cacao offers a distinct and potent experience, other forms of cacao and chocolate, such as cocoa powder and dark chocolate, are also worth exploring and enjoying. These alternatives to ceremonial cacao still provide a range of flavours and health benefits, making them a delightful addition to your daily life.
Indulge in the diverse world of cacao by experimenting with different recipes, incorporating cocoa powder into smoothies with plant-based milk, or savouring a piece of dark chocolate as a treat. Each form of cacao offers a unique taste and experience, allowing you to fully appreciate the magic of this ancient plant medicine.
Incorporating Ceremonial Grade Cacao into Your Daily Life
Integrating ceremonial grade cacao into your daily routine provides ample opportunities for personal development, introspection, and fostering connections with yourself and others. By experimenting with different recipes, attending cacao ceremonies, or using cacao as a tool for meditation and self-reflection, you can harness the power of this ancient plant medicine for your personal journey.
Embrace the magic of ceremonial grade cacao as a daily practice, allowing its rich flavors and potent benefits to nourish your body, mind, and spirit. As you integrate this sacred plant medicine into your life, discover the profound transformation that awaits you.
The magic of ceremonial-grade cacao lies in its rich flavours, numerous health benefits, and spiritual significance. By understanding the journey from bean to ceremonial cacao, learning how to prepare and enjoy this sacred plant medicine, and embracing the spiritual aspects of cacao ceremonies, you can fully experience the transformative power of this ancient elixir. Incorporate ceremonial-grade cacao into your daily life for a deeper connection with yourself and the world around you, and let the spirit of cacao guide you on a journey of self-discovery, healing, and growth.
Frequently Asked Questions
What makes ceremonial cacao ceremonial?
Ceremonial cacao is made from the finest quality cacao produced in a way that respects the land, the plant, and every person involved. It has been used for centuries in rituals and ceremonies to honour gods, celebrate milestones, and open creative pathways. Moreover, it is believed to offer emotional and spiritual benefits.
What is the difference between ceremonial cacao and normal cacao?
Ceremonial cacao is processed differently than regular cacao: the beans are kept as pure and unroasted as possible, going through only fermentation and drying.
Why is ceremonial cacao better?
Ceremonial cacao is superior to other forms of chocolate due to its minimal processing and potential to boost physical and mental health, increase blood flow to the brain, connect with the spirit world and induce a state of mindfulness and relaxation.
Who should not drink ceremonial cacao?
For safety purposes, those taking antidepressants or other medications, have a heart condition, or are pregnant should not drink ceremonial cacao.
What does ceremonial cacao do to you?
Ceremonial cacao provides energy and focus boosts due to its theobromine content, and it helps to protect the body with its antioxidant properties.
Ceremonial-grade cacao isn't just another product on the market. It's a journey into a world of rich flavour, deep cultural heritage, and nourishing benefits. Its versatility as a morning beverage, a cooking ingredient, or a ceremonial drink makes it a worthy addition to anyone's pantry. But remember, not all cacao is created equal. Opt for brands that prioritize ethical sourcing, organic cultivation, and minimal processing to ensure you're experiencing the true essence of what ceremonial-grade cacao has to offer. So go ahead, explore this ancient treasure and savour the unique experience it brings. Your taste buds - and your health - will thank you!
We hope you find your ultimate best product from our guide! Each product was independently selected by our editors. Some may have been sent as samples for us to fiddle with, but all opinions in this article are our own. Oh, and FYI — ConsiderateChoices may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to buy something at no cost to you(that's how we stay in business). Reviews have been edited for length and clarity. Enjoy finding the ultimate best for you!